TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - My reply, 7/15/2008
People Seeking Info

Subject My reply, 7/15/2008

Posted by Ash's Z on September 07, 2008 at 2:07 AM
  This message has been viewed 969 times.

In Reply To Please learn how to read a dynochart. The mix was 12.23 posted by Ash's Z on September 07, 2008 at 01:50 AM

Message Hi Tony,

Sorry I missed your call last night – I didn’t hear your call come in and I suspect you called while I was in the shop machining some parts on the lathe. I got your message though and I’m really sorry to hear that there are issues with the compression on those two rear cylinders. I have a few questions for you that have come to mind since we last spoke:

How was the coolant level in the engine?

Can you give me some more details on your runs at the track? I’m not totally clear on how many passes you made, how those runs went, when you first noticed any oddities, etc.. What kind of boost the car was making on the runs.. Just as many details about each run from start to end as you can recall.

Also, your car has a very similar setup to my own – at least, we have similar engine internals, similar turbos, similar exhaust, same intake, same injectors, etc. Can you send the ECU down to me so I can actually run it in the car to see if everything checks out OK with it both in the car and on the testbench?

Can you guys ohm test the injectors to see if they are all within spec? (they should be between ~11 to 13 ohms)

Are you using a fuel damper in your fuel system still?

I really want to figure out what the source of this issue is for both our sake and will do anything I can to help you get through this issue. Although I don’t fully know what the source of the issue is (be it something I did wrong or something else) I really feel bad about what has happened and want to make sure that you understand I’m not going to bail on you. I don’t have any solid ideas about what could have gone wrong as everything looked exceptionally good with the car, both in its mechanical fitness as well as its performance on the dyno and street testing.. and it really is eating me up to figure this one out.

Even if we can’t find any conclusive evidence for what caused this issue I do want to make a recommendation for a few items I would like to see done a little differently with the car as we go through the process of getting her back in shape. We really need to get that wideband system installed into the car – it is pretty apparent to me that the engine ran lean – that is the only reason you’ll burn the ground strap on plugs. We just need to find out when this problem occurs as it will likely help us to find the source of the problem and prevent it from happening again. I would also really like to see you swap out the DOOLZ you have now for my newer version. I would even be happy to send you one at no charge just for sake of eliminating that as a possible issue.

One of the revisions I made to the DOOLZ intake was to reduce the amount of pipe wall cut out of each of the two pipes so that the shared area is much smaller. By doing this, it reduces any cross-flow effect that may occur with the air. If there is an air-pressure bias between the two filters from a ram-air effect at high vehicle speeds, it will cause some air to actually be biased more to one side than the other because of that shared area in the DOOLZ intake piping. If it is biased more to the passenger side, it will cause a little less air to flow through the metered side and this can cause the engine to lean out a bit. I’m not sure if this is what happened with your car but I don’t want to take any chances again. The reduced shared area also helps to stabilize the idle – for the same exact reason as what I detailed above. The n ew DOOLZ just doesn’t suffer from that issue nearly as badly. I will get a DOOLZ put together for you and send it back with the ECU once I’ve had a chance to look at it.

I’m not sure how far you guys got last night with getting the car taken apart but keep me posted on your findings. I have a lot of equipment and parts available to me that I am happy to offer to you. If there is an issue in the heads, feel free to take me up on doing any of the machine work and I also have a lot of spare parts at my disposal to address any head issues. Just send them down to me and I will put a priority on them to get them addressed. If there is an issue in the bottom end of the motor it will be in the piston. I’m not sure what exact pistons you are running but I can get wiseco pistons at WD pricing and I’m happy to extend that to you. Just keep me posted on what you guys find and I’ll make myself available to you.

I’ve been working with Z’s professionally now for almost 5 years and have been all in them for almost 9. I jumped ship from the IT bandwagon after 10 years of doing that as it was no longer much of a challenge and I was finding a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction working with the Z car. I’m definitely not in it for the money – if my goal were to accumulate wealth, I wouldn’t waste my time messing with Z’s – there’s no money in them. I do this because I enjoy doing it and can make enough profits to support a typical middle-class family and continue building the ideas I come up with for the Z. Situations like this one are certainly a troublesome challenge, for all involved, and although I’m not independently wealthy (or wealthy, period), I do feel that I have the morals and ethics to get through this properly. I hope you have no hard feeli ngs towards me and understand that I am here and willing to make sure you are taken care of.

Talk to you soon…

-Ash

[ ashspecz.com ]
[ agpowers@bellsouth.net ]

Enthusiasts soon understand each other. --W. Irving.
Are you an enthusiast?

If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor.
Albert Einstein

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.